Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Stop Motion Animation of Falling

This is a brief stop motion of a falling clay ball. The first unexpected complication for this project came just from trying to find a good orientation for my built-in webcam and once I realized that there'd be no way I could shoot this project in top-down fashion, I had to improvise. Using soft modeling clay and a long paint brush, I crafted the ball and the manipulating tool. For the falling motion, I tried to adhere to the "odd rule" in the small amount of space I had while attempting to show other animation principles such as squash, stretch, and adjusting the contact frames. However, I failed to take into account the frame rate and hold length of each frame so my attempt to follow some of those principles weren't particularly successful. After a few reshoots I noticed that my first, simplest take was the most successful and that is what I've uploaded.

This is the first stop-motion animation I've done in a long time and I quite enjoyed it. I'm eager to fix this animation in my own time and attempt to get more creative with it.

1 comment:

  1. Good job of improvising given the constraints of the camera. The squash and stretch are OK but it's hard to get the timing right in stop-motion, especially since you were doing the whole action within a couple of inches and positioning the object by hand.
    Believability 9 of 12 points
    Creativity 5 of 8 points
    Total: 14 of 20 points

    ReplyDelete